Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink

Wow

The weather here in B.C. is pretty crazy right now...
Torrential rains have left 2 out of 3 reservoirs with high turbidity and potential bacterial contamination.
And the rain continues. And the Boil Water Advisory continues.
Fisticuffs at Costco and Superstore as grown men and women trample children and seniors for the last few cases of water.
Crazy.
We have a water cooler (Canadian Springs) and at work I have been boiling and Brita-izing the water. Hopefully no gastro-intestinal distress for me.

More importantly - I have made good progress in my reading:

Unless (Carol Shields)
Excellent book. I really like her writing style, and this story kept me hooked throughout as I discovered clues and finally the reason for Norah's self-imposed homelessness and search for 'goodness'. I highly recommend the book - 2 thumbs up.

Short History of Progress (Ronald Wright)
I don't have a strong background in history, which is probably why I like historical fiction. Now saying that, I recognize this is nonfiction. But my point is more that this book enlightened me as to the history of our little world, and how we as a society seem doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over. As much as the book was enlightening, it was also depressing. I used to see the world as a whole - society as a whole - the environment, wildlife... I used to see it all with a 'glass half full' type of mentality. I'm afraid to admit that these days, with the people we have in power, the current governments, the global companies that rape and pillage for profit... I think I now see our future through a 'glass half empty' perspective.
Depressing, I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home