Friday, October 13, 2006

Weekend of the Turkey

M & I spent last weekend with her cousin, aunt, and uncle, enjoying a little R & R at a cabin outside of Hope, BC. It was quite the weekend, and seemed to follow a general schedule:

* wake-up
* eat
* read
* eat
* nap
* walk or read
* eat
* walk, read, or TV
* sleep

It was incredible. Truly relaxing. Food, drink, naps. Curling up by the fire with books, magazines, the paper... white wine, red wine, beer... coffee and fresh-from-the-oven pull-apart cinnamon rolls... turkey with all the fixin's... walking on a gorgeous sunny fall day, in a valley surrounded by mountains...
and have you notice that fall (the season) has a smell? Crisp and cool, leaves on the ground, the scent of smoke from the chimneys of most cabins...
I wore my new blue Gap hoodie, which was very well suited to the sunny but cool weather.
I have photodocumented the trip, which can be seen at my flickr site.

The week since has been crazy busy, highlighted with me consuming excess amounts of Cold FX (everyone around here is sickly), stressing over my upcoming cataloging assignment, and madly trying to finish Saturday (Ian McEwen). Thoughts about the book: long. I think I am used to reading a book that is more fast paced. The whole novel takes place in one day (Saturday), and while I did enjoy the beginning and the end (it got really exciting near the end), the middle spent many pages describing things like his squash game, and was just too long-winded and slow.
Next book up: Unless - Carol Shields.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steph - you are making me sad sitting here in Singapore, where it is summer every day - the leaves and the pumpkin banner are making me nostalgic for those amazing Canadian fall days. I totally agree with you about the smell. I miss seasons. Also, I too am in love with Imogen Heap, and I bought Carol Shield's novel UNLESS in Bangkok last week - I've read it before, but wanted something familiar and brilliant.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home