Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Scottish Dancing, Mining, and Herons

While seemingly unrelated, all of the above were witnessed by me in the last 24 hours.

Yesterday I finished my day with a happy sigh.
I believe I actually said "boy, it's good to be alive."

The little things that make me happy are occasionally bizarre.
For example, after an *awesome* dinner, me and M decided to take a walk around the seawall. First off - that felt good. So many nights, we get sucked into the endless cycle of reruns and sitcoms, that while pleasant for the moment, leave me feeling a little empty after all is said and done.
We walked, briskly I might add, alongside the ocean as the sunset before our eyes.

It was invigorating.
Clearly I don't go for walks enough anymore.
At a certain point, I distinguished the sound of fiddles/pipers.
Enter exciting event #2 - the Scottish Dancing in Stanley Park. Apparently, throughout the summer, the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society dances in the park, combining free instruction with dancing to music.
Perhaps it is my Scottish heritage, but I think it is a hoot - and plan on going.
There were young and old, scottish and other, men, women, kilts, you name it.
The older woman who was the "caller" reminded me of an elderly Jennifer Saunders.

Anyhow. Good times at the park. Our walk continued by a location where Herons are nesting. WOW! What a noise these birds create! Overwhelming sounds of little babies chirping, and the adults squawking back (incase you haven't heard the Heron - while beautiful, they do *not* sound pretty). We stood in the middle of about 5 very tall trees that are FULL of big nests. A racoon made his way under the nests - he seemed to be nibbling on a little bird that must have fallen out. That tragedy aside, it was SO cool to be there.

My final observation to mention came today at school. I was teaching a grade 6/7 class, but across the hall was a grade 4 class (who I had taught before). After lunch, as students lined up to come in, I looked out the door and saw a grade 4 girl in line, and she was ... mining.
Now, most cultures would accept that nose picking is innapropriate.
Well, she appeared to know this, and had taken steps to make her actions less obvious. She stood there, with one hand over her nose, shielding it from view, while the other hand was working underneath.
Quite a sight.
It made me chuckle - I have witnessed other little ones use this technique.
I call the manoever the "Block and Pick".

Ever listen to The Postal Service?
I am listening to "Such Great Heights" - good song.
Turn it up. Most music is better when it is loud.
Yours in Happiness,
The Asthmatic

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've decided to be your web stalker. I love the Postal Service and Death Cab for Cutie (same guy). Bands I knew nothing about before Turkey. You need to hear Iron & Wine's re-make of "Such Great Heights." Way mellow but I love it. It's on the Garden State Sountrack if you can't find it elsewhere.

11:32 PM  
Blogger asthmatic said...

OMG!
I totally know Iron and Wine!
My recent favourite is "Naked as we came"
And that movie - Garden State. SO good.
Never heard of Death Cab for Cutie... will have to check it out on Limewire.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home